Refresh and invigorate while you quiet your thoughts and melt your tension away…
Meditation & Breath
Meditation, yoga breathing (pranayama), and mindfulness practices bring a sense of stillness and ease into our everyday lives by offering tools and techniques to help corral the myriad thoughts that keep us anxious or wired. We find the way to recognize and let go of memories and fears that we struggle with, wanting to be in control of our lives.
“Interesting things happen when we give up struggling with a situation or problem outside of our control. When we stop trying to fix something that will not and cannot be fixed and we accept it just as it is, we liberate our energy. All the energy that we have poorly invested in struggle is now freed for other purposes.”
–From Bringing Yoga to Life, The Everyday Practice of Enlightened Living by Donna Farhi
Yoga Nidra a is Yogic Sleep with awareness. It’s a guided meditation that nourishes your body, breath, emotions, intellect, and intuition and opens a connection to your higher self.
Yoga Nidra is a nurturing practice for anyone suffering from chronic pain, illness, grief or stress and is approved by the Veterans Administration for treatment of symptoms of PTSD.
Yoga Nidra is especially supportive for:
- overcoming periods of insomnia,
- preparing for and recovering from surgery and other medical procedures,
- coping with chronic pain,
- calming the mind during periods of anxiety, and
- easing the grip of deep grief.
Yoga Nidra Resources
Yoga Nidra (Yoga Sleep) Books and CDs
- Yoga Nidra, Swami Satyananda Saraswati, Yoga Publications Trust, Bihar, India
- “Mindfulness Meditation for Pain Relief “(CD), Jon Kabat-Zinn
- Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness (Book), Jon Kabat-Zinn
- “Experience Yoga Nidra: Guided deep relaxation” (CD) Swami Janakananda Saraswati with music by Roop Verma
- Yoga Nidra, A Meditative Practice for Deep Relaxation and Healing (Book & CD), Richard Miller, PhD
- The iRest Program for Healing PTSD (Book), Richard Miller, PhD
- Yoga-Nidra, Yogic Trance: Theory, Practice and Applications (Book) by N. C. Panda
- “Drops of Nectar, Yoga Relaxation for Rejuvenation and Healing” (CD), Shiva Rea
- “Yoga Nidra for Kids of All Ages” (CD), Emily Gretz & Steve Wolf
- “Meditation & Yoga Nidra” (CD), Swami Shankardev Saraswati
- “Relax into Greatness” (CD), Rod Stryker
- “Sleep & Breathe Deeply” (CD), Steve Wolf
Yoga for Anxiety – A Monthly Yoga Nidra Workshop
Home Family Holistic Center 7927 Floyd St, Overland Park KS 66204
2nd Thurs of each month 7:00-8:30pm $20
Meditation and Yoga Nidra classes are taught at Turning Point, a community resource of The University of Kansas Health System. Their mission is to empower and transform the mind, body and spirit of people living with serious or chronic illness and their families and friends.